Saturday, 13 July 2013

FF7 on Steam - Square dipping their toe for a reason?

As I am sure most of you are aware, recently +Square Enix released Final Fantasy 7 on Steam.


I for one loved the game at release, so much so that I refused to complete the game many months after most of my friends had done so.  I did not buy it day one of release, since money was not an object in good supply during my youth, but my mother did her best and bought me it for christmas of '97, and after waiting through people talking about this great experience - I was not about to let it end quickly.  I ground like a madman around the map, refusing to take part in the storyline until I had discovered everything.

I did not fight Reno for the first time until I had Bolt2.

Back in the now, though, and we see this as the first Final Fantasy released on Steam.  Could this be a portent of things to come?  We are all aware of how popular the platform has become.  From the messy client I was forced to download just to play CS 1.6, I now login every single day to check on deals, see if my friends are online and check up on community news.

Granted, the release was not entirely smooth.  There were complaints about the music, you still actually need a Square account and the lack of a full graphical overhaul does remind you just how constrained they were by the PS1.  Regardless though, this is a big 'FF' title on Steam, which is a step in the right direction.  Could we see Realm Reborn on Steam?  More classics from the archives? 

These epic RPG experiences are why I buy consoles at all, but if they're available on Steam, and handheld devices, well...  Is there really much point in that box under my TV any more.
  
~sal

No comments:

Post a Comment